Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Golf Loses a Gentleman: John Harbottle III

I was heartbroken to learn of the recent passing of golf course designer John Harbottle III at age 53. I got to know John during my days in Washington state, even played a round with him at his home course, Tacoma Country & Golf Club.

John was a terrific architect, evidenced by his work at the Olympic Course at Gold Mountain (Bremerton, Wash.), Palouse Ridge GC (Pullman, Wash.), BanBury GC (Eagle, Idaho) and Stevinson Ranch (Stevinson, Calif.), plus high-profile renovations on LA Country Club's North Course and Stanford University.

While I can't claim to have known him well, I think it's safe to say John was as passionate about his family as he was about golf -- and he was passionate about golf.

Click here for a complete list of Harbottle's original designs and renovations. Play one and all if you get a chance. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment