Saturday, August 11, 2012

Team A-Game Dominating at Kiawah

Is it too early to gloat about picking Vijay Singh as one of my five pre-tourney favorites at the PGA Championship? I think not.

On Friday, Singh posted a 3-under-par 69 that looked better and better as scores went higher and higher on Kiawah Island's brutal, wind-raked Ocean Course. By day's end, Singh's was the only round in the 60s on a day when two golfers, both club pros, failed to break 90. The average score was 78.11.

Vijay's tied for the lead at 4-under with Tiger Woods, another of my picks (admittedly, not exactly a wild card). I've also got Graeme McDowell (T11 at even par) and Louis Oosthuizen (T56 at +5). My No. 1 choice, Matt Kuchar, is gone with the wind after an 82 -- crushing my preseason prediction of a major victory for Kooch this year.

Can Vijay pull it off? Sure he can. But I don't think he will. Tiger's putting brilliantly and if he sharpens up his irons just a touch, that long-awaited 15th major is in the bag.

Enjoy the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment